High-rise chicken feeding stations

July 6, 2011 | Animal Systems, Chickens, Uncategorized | 6 comments | Author:

Within our gravity chicken run, we needed a way to feed the chickens up off the ground. Mainly so nothing would impede the gradual down-hill slump of mulch we’re hoping this overall design will provide. The answer? Recycled palettes and assorted fabulous junk.

Pretty simple design and construction: legs, a pallette, and iron roof. All 100% recycled junk, of course.
Two feeding stations allow two roosters to co-habit in the one run without treading on each others tail-feathers and getting all upset.
Chickens get a dry spot to feed, poop falls through to the ground, feeding station does not impede the gravity-fed design of the larger chicken run. Both chickens, gravity and the mulch are all happy.

Related posts:

TWEET 0
LIKE 35

• Frogdancerogdancer July 6, 2011 at 8:36 am | Reply

You’ll find that you’ll be feeding the neighborhood birds as well, which drastically increases the cost of keeping the chooks. I had to modify my arrangements so that the only way my chooks could get to their feed was by walking through their coop into a wired-off-from-the-sky enclosure. It’s cut my feed bill by 75%.

1. milkwoodkirsten July 6, 2011 at 9:19 am | Reply

interesting! we don’t have that problem yet… probably due to our sad lack of birds… as we build biodiversity we may have to amend… cheers for the thought!

• Kristy July 6, 2011 at 9:29 am | Reply

Hi there. We did use pallets too at one stage in the run to put the feeder on but still found a lot of poo there and in/near the feed. Unfortunately the gaps in the pallets aren’t enough for the ‘fall through’ thought… you can of course still brush/wash them down but that may not be part of your plan.

Good luck with it – I’m following along to see how it (and other things on the blog) go.
    Cheers
    Kristy

• Chris July 7, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Reply

Gorgeous chicken friends in the picture. I love chicken friends. :)

Good idea to lift the feeders off the ground like that, but do I notice with the second station, one of the feeders hanging from the ceiling? If so, you may find this more hygenic for the food and water. My waterers are hanging from the ceiling in my chicken coop, but they occassionally still manage to get poop in it.

What I like about the feeding stations though, is they’re propably easily modified if your needs change in the future. Got a sick hen with an injury the others seem to constantly peck at? Turn one of the stations into a mini coop with chicken wire, until they heal up again. They’ll still have the constant contact with their chicken friends, so introducing them back in the flock when they’re better, won’t be hard.

It would also make a good broody box if you find a hen wants to sit on some eggs. So you’ve probably built some multifunctional stations there!

Chickens are pretty easy to please. :)

Nice use of recycled materials too. Always a bonus when you can do that!

• Ginny July 13, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Reply

Hi, love your site and all the information that constantly come through, even though we live far across the ocean in Cape Town, South Africa. It really inspires me to do more on our 2 acres. Keep up the good work. Thanks

• Krys January 16, 2012 at 11:22 am | Reply

What to not feed ( incorrect food for chickens) ? Which weeds are dangerous ?