Dinosaur stomps in the kitchen garden

November 4, 2012 | Milkwood Farm | 10 comments | Author:

Despite telling everyone in earshot (frequently) that he’s Ashar Tyranna (and therefore a meat eating dinosaur), negotiations have been made to revert to being a brontosaurus at mealtimes, for the sake of ensuring salad consumption. It works sometimes.

Everyone else around here snaps up their luscious kitchen garden salad greens without so much as a stomp or a growl. But i guess it’s harder for a Tyranna. Balance in all things…

• June Ritar November 4, 2012 at 7:09 am | Reply

Don’t worry , at 3 his father was the same & look how he turned out!!

• narf77 November 4, 2012 at 7:20 am | Reply

This photograph says more than a million words. THIS is why we do it folks! This is simple living, passed on from generation to generation, sharing what we learn through networks and learning to understand that our future is entirely based upon what we learn and practice right here and now. Cheers for sharing your little carnivore :)

1. milkwoodkirsten November 4, 2012 at 8:14 am | Reply

• Meg McGowan November 4, 2012 at 9:04 am | Reply

When my now 20 year old toddler went through her ‘no salad’ phase I succeeded by going all lateral on my vegetables; breaking out the grater and the stick mixer resulted in very finely shredded salad with grated cheese, coleslaw based on grated apple, vegetable and yoghurt dips and grated vegetables in anything cooked, including the still-popular zucchini rice with a bolognese sauce that contains anything I can grate or chop. Soups were also an occasional hit provided they were pureed beyond recognition. Broccoli ‘trees’ planted in hills of mashed vegetables seem to be eternally popular with dinosaurs and mash can hide a remarkable assortment of vegetables. Hope this is helpful. You’ve probably already tried most of these.

1. milkwoodkirsten November 4, 2012 at 9:16 am | Reply

Ha thanks Meg… having lots of success with creative breakfast smoothies also

• latebloomershow November 4, 2012 at 11:54 am | Reply

What a lovely photo! If only my garden looked like that!! – Kaye

• Cecilia Macaulay (@CeciliaMacaulay) November 4, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Reply

Being a child is so much fun. Thank-you for reminding me, Asher Tyranna.

• LightFoot Education November 4, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Reply

I’ve found that having all the components of the salad in separate piles on a plate and no dressing is much more successful than mixing everything up. My now 14 year old prefers it this way but I’ve never had problems getting her to eat veggies….meat on the other hand has to be disguised in a curry, sausage or burger…

• Kade November 7, 2012 at 7:45 am | Reply

careful, you might just find Ashar nibbling on the little piggies trotters when you’re not watching. Nice pics Kirsten, garden looks amazing. :D

• Darren (Green Change) November 8, 2012 at 9:12 am | Reply

We have the opposite problem – one of my daughters refuses to eat meat and most processed food! She’ll only eat raw vegies and fruit, plus bread. She does make an exception for chips and lollies, though :-).

It’s not a bad problem in the grand scheme of things, but I really feel she’s missing out on the beautiful home-raised chicken, duck, pork (and soon rabbit) that we cook!