Join us for two jam-packed days of hands-on skills in edible mushroom propagation. Learn how to grow delicious oyster, shiitake, pioppino, enoki, reishi (lingzhi), lions mane, king stropharia and many other mushrooms at home, organically!
This practical workshop will take you through the details of home mushroom propagation and introduce you to the fascinating world of fungi. You’ll also receive a host of take-home mushroom resources to get you growing.
Our approach is designed to give you the knowledge and tools to grow a sustainable, diverse mushroom supply at home – all year round.
We encourage techniques that minimise waste and energy use and focus on teaching resilient processes that take advantage of the seasons and micro-climates around your property rather than the conventional approach of single use bags and expensive climate controlled environments.
You’ll also learn advanced liquid culture techniques so you can avoid the expense of creating a sterile environment to make your of grain spawn.
By the end of this course you will have the skills to take any suitable store-bought or foraged mushroom, clone and propagate it in a variety of ways, and create a lifetime supply of mushrooms with minimal start up costs.
- The biology & ecology of Fungi
- How to expand liquid culture syringes
- How to make your own re-usable liquid culture equipment
- ‘Cloning’ store-bought mushrooms to make your own pure liquid cultures
- Producing spore prints and using them to produce new strains
- Duplicating liquid cultures so you can keep a master bank of different species
- Using liquid cultures to inoculate organic grain to make your own spawn
- How to use that spawn to inoculate freely available materials to grow massive amounts of mushrooms
- How to modify recycled containers to grow mushrooms while avoiding single use plastics
- How to create the right conditions to encourage your fungi to produce the best mushrooms
- How to create a garden of giant mushrooms in your own backyard
- How to inoculate logs with sawdust & dowel spawn in order to grow the highest quality shiitake mushrooms
Growing your own organic mushrooms is a great way to introduce important trace minerals to your family’s diet, as well as being a fun and extremely interesting thing to do.
Growing organic mushrooms can lead to a successful micro-enterprise that fits well with many small farms, homesteads and urban growers. Once you know how to do it, there is very little ongoing cost.
So if you’re curious about how to start growing mushrooms in bags, logs or in the ground and how to propagate your own strains for a lifetime supply, join us!
Your course fee includes:
Each student receives extensive mushroom propagation resources for this Gourmet Mushroom Cultivation course, as well as extensive digital resources & how-to’s to help you get growing.
Each course’s resources will vary, so the image below is indicative only but in a typical course your take home resources will include:
- Five varieties of fungi as liquid culture syringes.
- A modified mason jar with an airport lid (self healing injection port and biological air filter) filled with grain spawn you have inoculated in class.
- A modified polypropylene bucket full of fruiting substrate that you have inoculated in class.
Your course fee also includes a local harvest vegetarian lunch spread each day – as well as refreshments, hot drinks and caffeine during the course.
About your teacher
Nick Ritar is a passionate small-scale mushroom cultivator who heads the mushroom propagation project at Milkwood. Nick has trained with world-leading mycologist Paul Stamets from Fungi Perfecti and has been teaching mushroom propagation since 2011.
His passion for knowledge and hands-on skills is infectious, and his aim with this workshop is that you will leave confident and ready to take on a wide range of mushroom propagation techniques at home.
Some resources to get you thinking
About the venue
This course will be held in the school hall at Hepburn Primary School. There’s also an optional Saturday afternoon after-class tour, to explore Nick’s home mushroom cultivation setup just down the street at Melliodora Permaculture Farm.
Special Offers for Ticket
|Offer||Discounted Price||Saving Per Item||Min Qty||Expires|
|Group Special||15 %||$467.50||$82.50||2 x||-|
Discounts will be applied at checkout.
- Saturday, May 11, 2019 @ 9:00 am
- Sunday, May 12, 2019 @ 5:00 pm
- Event Category:
- 02 5300 4473
Need more information?
Contact us using the form below if you have any questions, to arrange an alternative payment method or to be added to the wait list for a sold out event.