Does growing water-wise organic herbs, leafy greens and vegetables at your back door sound good to you? How about growing fresh fish while you’re at it?
Join us for a practical aquaponics workshop on how to build your own aquaponics system and produce organic, water-wise vegetables and fresh fish in your own backyard.
This 2-day intensive workshop is designed to de-mystify home aquaponics systems, and give you the knowledge and confidence you need to build a range of DIY backyard aquaponics setups.
We know there’s no ‘one way’ to do aquaponics, so in this wokrshop we ensure you get a good grasp on all the options out there for home aquaponics systems. Then you can build your own with confidence.
No chemicals, no fuss, just fresh fish, herbs and vegetables.
With 10% of the water usage and five times the growth rate of a conventional vegetable garden, an aquaponics setup can see fingerling fish grown to plate size in under 12 months.
This workshop covers the basics of:
- The theory and history of Aquaponics
- Nutrient cycling in different types of aquaponics systems
- Integrating aquaponics with a permaculture approach for low-energy, high yeild systems
- Different types of setups, grow beds, pumps and equipment
- Integrating an aquaponics system efficiently and aesthetically into your backyard
Then we’ll move into the nitty-gritty of adaptable, modular, upgradable, DIY, media based aquaponics systems:
- Design and hands-on construction of different aquaponics systems
- Which kinds of pumps your can use, and how they’re different
- The pros and cons of different fish food strategies (including Black Soldier Fly production, water weeds, worms and so on)
- Selecting the best fish species for your backyard system
- Selecting the best plants for your backyard system
- How to approach the design of your system, to ensure success
And finally we’ll look at system maintenance and troubleshooting:
- Understanding ‘system cycling’
- Understanding basic water testing methods, including pH, and interpreting their results
- Fish disease prevention strategies for a super healthy system
- Natural strategies for nutrient management of your leafy green and veggie crops
Some resources to get you going:
- Floyd’s DIY vertical patio aquaponics system
- Floyd’s aquaponics system for Soneva Kiri in Thailand
- Floyd’s backyard ‘cafeponics’ system for a Darwin cafe
- All our articles on aquaponics
You will leave with a competent beginners level knowledge of aquaponics, and with the confidence to build and maintain your own abundant aquaponics system, for many harvests to come.
You will also leave with solid student resources to enable you to get cracking with building your own aquaponics setup.
About your Teacher:
Floyd Constable is an experienced permaculture and aquaponics designer and teacher. He’s built aquaponics systems of every size and shape over the years, from patio to vertical pallette-based aquaponic systems, as well as larger, in-ground setups designed to feed large crews of people.
Floyd is a hands-on teacher who is passionate about learning outcomes and having his students leave full of knowledge and the confidence to get making and growing.
Your course fee includes resources to enable you to go home and get designing, making and growing, including the e-book ‘Backyard Aquaponics – a guide to building an Aquaponics System’.
Your course fee also includes tea + coffee + organic fruit during the day.
Once you’ve booked into this course, we will contact you via email regarding your booking, what to bring along with you, and any further info you might need or request regarding this course.
About the venue
This course will be held in the workshop space adjoining the 107 Rooftop Garden in Redfern, Sydney.
The 107 Rooftop Garden is an inner-city food system full of vertical gardens, intensive veggie beds, DIY aquaponics (above), beehives, dappled shady nooks and lots of hands-on opportunities to learn and grow good things. More about the venue here…
Booking into this workshop
You can pay for your course now with your credit card, or contact us via the form below (scroll down) to arrange payment.
Please ensure you read our refunds policy prior to booking your course.
Need more information?
Contact us using the form below if you have any questions, to arrange an alternative payment method or to be added to the wait list for a sold out event.