Impossible delicious: Sourdough Spelt Croissants

October 2, 2012 | Cooking | 20 comments | Author:

Yes, you heard that right. Croissants made on sourdough starter (ie no yeast), using white spelt flour. It’s possible! And what is more, they’re ridiculously delish.

Rose made these at Milkwood Farm during a quiet week recently, and they were all things that croissants should be, but better. Especially with plum jam… home-made heaven.

To make these croissants, Rose used her trusty sourdough starter (from which springs all the bread baked on this farm), flour, and a lot of butter. Croissants are not (apparently) as fiddly to do as you might first think.

There’s quite a few stages, but if it’s all done on a separate bench in phases during a day of other cooking projects, then it’s not a big deal. Again, apparently (I was part of the eating team, rather than the making team. I did my job well).

The recipe Rose used was adapted from this FANTASTIC book by Yoke Mardewi:

>> Sourdough – from pastries to gluten free wholegrain breads

Sooo much goodness in here. Click to enlarge.

Yoke Mardewi is based in Perth WA and has a great website at wildsourdough.com.

We got this croissant recipe from her second book, but her first book, Wild Sourdough, is also excellent and makes the whole world of experimental sourdough beyond white/brown/rye loaf land seem quite achievable in the home kitchen. Huzzah for user friendly wild ferment.

Rose’s sourdough croissants. Too soon a memory…

>> More posts about food and ferment at Milkwood Farm

• Tom Bachant October 2, 2012 at 6:29 am | Reply

I am not normally interested in croissants. But all that has changed after seeing these! They look really nice.

And thanks for the book recommendation.

• Maggie Walters October 2, 2012 at 8:36 am | Reply

bliss.

• Tricia Luck October 2, 2012 at 8:43 am | Reply

I have done a course with Yoke and her recipes work beautifully. Great and generous teacher

• Nam-Ha Quach October 2, 2012 at 8:57 am | Reply

They look amazing!

• andrew garton (@freq_ghost) October 2, 2012 at 9:25 am | Reply

I am seriously into this! Excellent…

• bangormarket October 2, 2012 at 9:45 am | Reply

These look not only delicious but fresh too

• kay keen October 2, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Reply

these look very good, thanks for sharing kay

• Charles Hamilton October 2, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Reply

Looks great mate. Are you going to post the recipe as well?

1. milkwoodkirsten October 2, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Reply

er, not really, as it’s from a book and i’m a bit reticent to share it without Yoke’s permission… but the book is worth getting! :L

1. Charles Hamilton October 2, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Reply

I would have thought as long as it is sourced it should not be a problem.

2. Charles Hamilton October 2, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Reply

No worries Kirsten, it is our local library – the Gold Coast has a brilliant library collection.

• Matilda October 2, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Reply

Hi, these look absolutely fantastic! Is there any possibility of getting a sneak peek at the recipe?

• Carol Spencer October 2, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Reply

Will you post Roses adapted recipe please so I can make these?
    thanks!

• compostcorner October 2, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Reply

It must be just that time of year when we all go a bit ga-ga over pastry… Linda posted a sourdough croissant recipe with step-by-step piccies a week or two ago at witcheskitchen.com.au. Can’t make them here – would eat far too many!!

• Kaz October 3, 2012 at 12:00 am | Reply

I have just started making my own sourdough breads from my own wild s/d starter I made.. This is soooo tempting to try now – thanks so much. And for hte book link – I myself am gluten free and have tried sourdough starter g/f without successs – looks like I can get some ideas from this book! great!!

• Carol Spencer October 3, 2012 at 3:02 am | Reply

Thanks compsotcorner.I checked out your link…but I would still like to get this Roses adapted recipe before I get he book..I am thinking she would use MORE Spelt flour as it seems to absorb H2O less than whole wheat or white.

• Lynda Maree October 3, 2012 at 10:42 am | Reply

I’m definitely going to make these. Yoke’s book is fantastic & anyone interested in Sourdough in all it’s forms should have it in their kitchen! I am baking Rye Sourdough today… YUM!

• […] in balance with the rest of your diet, including grain, are awesome (eat one of Rose’s sourdough spelt croissants and tell me different, go on). If i could join one of these, I […]

• […] food”-ainekset osana muuta tasapainoista ruokavaliota ovat mahtavia (syöpä yksi Rosen speltti-hapanjuuricroissantti, ja sano että olen väärässä, anna mennä). Jos voisin liittyä tällaiseen, tekisin sen […]

• […] (pictured above and recipe below). They were beautiful with a milky cup of tea. Rose’s sourdough croissants also look pretty […]